We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives… not looking for flaws, but for potential. ~Ellen Goodman
……… 2012 could you do me a favour? Please? Stop, just stop? For 5 minutes, I’m a little behind, disorientated and if I’m honest a little underwhelmed by you. No? Fine! Be like that I’ll just…… O sod off.
It’s not that me and 2012 aren’t getting along, it’s just that I’ve sort of let it get away from me and now, I just have no motivation, I’m sure it will turn up somewhere. Hopefully it’s like waking up on Monday and everything going wrong and it’s not until Wednesday that everything returns to normal. I’m really hoping Wednesday doesn’t turn out to be May sometime.
In the process of writing Romantic New Years I was looking for a particular quote. (This particular quote is the one above.) I wasn’t searching for it because I wanted to use it; I was searching for it as I remember once thinking that it was a better way of looking at New Year’s resolution than the norm. My friends have gone through their lives and picked out all the stuff they don’t like and how they will resolve to outright change these things or create something entirely new. As a cynic of New Year’s resolutions I think they are so rarely kept that they just inevitably turn into reasons to dislike yourself for a year. I don’t think Resolutions are a bad idea it’s just that people do have the terrible habit of setting the bar very high and not factoring life and all the other demands they have.
So here is the plan, I’m not going to make a resolution or resolutions; I’m going to make ‘improvements’ this year. These are:
- Read more (and not in English-y student way. At uni I had to read 3 or 4 books a week plus essays, so now I have this terrible habit of reading 3 books at once and not giving a single one my full attention. Recently I have been very well-behaved; I’m only reading 2: The Wizard of Oz and How To Be a Woman I hope to get it down to one before Easter.)
- Save money. (I’m saving to see friends in America but I’d also like to go on holiday so that would mean more saving.)
- Keep smart, scathing, sarcastic and or Elizabeth Bennett like comments to self. (I’m getting really good at keeping my big mouth shut and really would like to continue this as I have to apologise less)
- Recent body issue image thing. (Either figure out why I suddenly have one and where the hell it has come from and fix it or do something about it, I don’t care which.)
- Career (got the job thing down now I just have to figure out my career thing.
I think I’m missing my own point about the bar and its height. O well here are my improvements written in stone the blogosphere and I’m only 9 days late. Let the self hating begin.